Track & Field is a multi-event sports game. Up to four players compete against each other in six track and field events in this legendary, genre creating and much-copied game from Konami. The game consists of two 'Run' buttons per player (one for each 'leg' of the athlete) and one action button.
Only two players can compete simultaneously so on 3 and 4-player games, players have to wait their turn.
An extra life is awarded for every 100000 points acquired.
Each player must qualify in the current event before they can move on to the next.
Hit the two 'Run' buttons to build up speed and use action button to jump or throw.
The six events are :
1) 100-meter Dash - Run as fast as possible.
2) Long Jump - Run to the take-off board then choose angle of jump (42 is optimal).
3) Javelin Throw - Run to the line then choose angle of throw (42 is optimal).
4) 110-meter Hurdles - Run and time jumps over the hurdles.
5) Hammer Throw - As the athlete spins faster and faster, time release of hammer and angle of throw (45 is optimal).
6) High Jump - The athlete will run to the bar, just as he reaches it, use Action button to start the jump and hold down the action button to reduce the angle of climb, i.e. you start going straight up at 90 degrees if you tap the button just once. Use run buttons while in the air to gain extra height.
Points are awarded in each event. The faster the time, the further or higher the jump, or the further you throw the more points you score.
Tips sur Track & Field
* 100m Dash : Achieve exactly the same time for player 1 and 2 and 1000 point bonus will be awarded.
* Long Jump : 3 jumps of exactly the same length will cause a little man with a key to run across the screen, awarding 1000 points.
* Javelin : Throw the javelin off the top of the screen to bring down a bird for a 1000 point bonus. To do this you must achieve the 'maximum' angle.
* 110m Hurdles : If both players finish the race in a dead heat then a little man with a key will run across the screen, awarding 1000 points to each player.
* High Jump : Fail the first two jumps and then clear it; a mole burrows up for a 1000 point bonus.
* Hint : When you alternate tapping the run buttons (run1, run2, run1, run2 etc.) you will get a much better speed increase. You have three attempts to qualify on all but the two running events.
* BUG : In both Javelin and the Hammer Throw, throwing over 100m will cause a counter wraparound, so a 100m12 throw will be logged as 0m12 (and will not qualify you).
Track & Field et M.A.M.E.
0.30 [Chris Hardy]
- To have the high score table properly initialized, the first time you run the game you should go into the dipswitch menu, set World Records to Erase on Reset, reset the game (F3), and the set the dipswitch back to 'Don't Erase'.
- 10th June 2012: 3D ARCADE - New 3D cabinet model for Track & Field.
- 0.136u1: Siftware and Tafoid added clone Track & Field (NZ Bootleg?).
- 0.133u1: Renamed (trackflc) to (trackfldc) and (hyprolyb) to (hyprolymb).
- 0.130u3: Changed M6809 CPU1 clock speed to 1536000 Hz and VLM5030 to 3579545 Hz.
- 0.126u4: Aaron Giles fixed access violation in clone Atlant Olimpic.
- 0.125u2: Aaron Giles restructured input port internals and cleaned up inptport. Removed gross hacks in Track & Field NVRAM. These may be broken as a result.
- 0.123u1: Zsolt Vasvari removed color tables from Track & Field. Added RESNET color computations where appropriate. Fixed gfx1/2 rom loading. Changed palettesize to 512 colors.
- 0.117: Zsolt Vasvari fixed high pitch noise after the speech most noticeable in Track & Field.
- 0.97u2: Fixed prom names.
- 0.88u5: Thierry Lescot fixed rom filenames in the Hyper Olympic clones.
- 0.88u3: Removed 4th button.
- 0.87u3: Pierpaolo Prazzoli added clone Atlant Olimpic (bootleg 1996).
- 0.60: Removed 3rd coin slot.
- 11th April 2002: Stephane Humbert fixed the inputs in the Track 'n Field driver.
- 0.58: Fixed VLM5030 emulation in Track & Field [Tatsuyuki Satoj].
- 22nd January 2002: Tatsuyuki Satoh fixed the noise generator in the VLM5030 sound chip emulation, completely removing the need for samples.
- 21st January 2002: Tatsuyuki Satoh submitted a new, much improved version of the VLM5030 sound chip emulation, used for speech in (Super) Punch-Out and a few other drivers. It is now more than 90% accurate to the original, and only a few small problems remain.
- 0.37b7: Added samples (00 - 3d.wav).
- 1st April 2000: Guru - Dumped Track 'n Field (Bootleg).
- 0.34b7: Nicola Salmoria added clone Track & Field (Centuri).
- 0.34b3: Nicola Salmoria added ADPCM sample playback to the bootleg Hyper Olympic.
- 0.34b2: David Winter added clone Hyper Olympic (bootleg), which uses ADPCM samples instead of speech synthesys. Known issues: Hyper Olympic (bootleg) currently uses the sound ROMs and sound driver from the original version, it doesn't emulate the real board ADPCM samples since one ROM is missing.
- 0.34b1: Added color proms ($0, 20, 120 - palette, sprite and char lookup table).
- 0.33b7: Changed description to 'Track & Field' and clone to 'Hyper Olympic'.
- 0.33b6: Tatuyuki Satoh fixed bug in VLM5030 emulator which caused samples not to work.
- 0.31: The first time you play Track'n Field and Hyper Sports the high scores are automatically initialized to the default. Your old high scores will NOT be be lost here [Nicola Salmoria].
- 0.30: Chris Hardy added Track'n'Field (Konami 1983) and clone Hyper Olympics (Konami 1983). Based on drivers from Juno First emulator by Chris Hardy.
- 23rd January 1997: Dumped Track'n'Field.