The object of the game is to fill the 7x7 tiled board with your colored globs. This is done by moving your glob adjacent to your opponent's glob and turning it to your color. 2 types of moves can be made during the game : first, placing a glob adjacent to one of your own duplicates it; or second, a glob may jump two spaces, but it will not be duplicated. The number and arrangement of obstacles in the playfield changes between each round, so strategies must be changed in order to accommodate these barriers.
Eventually, all the empty spaces on the board are filled, and the player with the most colored globs wins. In single-player mode if the human player wins, they must face a more difficult computer opponent in the next round. The game is over when time runs out, regardless if you're winning or not. You can 'buy-in' at any time.
0.37b3 [Aaron Giles, Paul Leaman]
0.35b11 [Paul Leaman, Scott Kelley]
- To enter service mode in Ataxx, press 1P start and then press the service switch (F2).
- 0.147u2: D Go Go Fan fixed Ataxx manufacturer (Capcom license).
- 0.140u3: Corrado Tomaselli added clone Ataxx (Europe). Fixed rom names in clone (Japan).
- 8th December 2010: Corrado Tomaselli dumped Ataxx (Euro).
- 0.136: Added eeprom-ataxx.bin EEPROM.
- 0.129u4: Changed Custom sound to 'Leland 80186 DAC'.
- 0.103u3: Fixed rom names.
- 0.37b3: Aaron Giles and Paul Leaman added Ataxx (set 1) (Leland 1990) and clones (set 2) and (Japan).
- 15th May 2000: Aaron Giles finally submitted the Leland driver first started by Paul Leaman, adding the following games: Cerberus, Mayhem 2002, World Series, Alley Master, Danger Zone, Baseball The Season II, Super Baseball Double Play Home Run Derby, Redline Racer, Quarterback, Strike Zone Baseball, Viper, John Elway's Team Quarterback, All American Football, Ironman Stewart's Super Off-Road, Ataxx, World Soccer Finals, Pigout and Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat.
- 0.36b9: Added Ataxx (Set 2) (Testdriver).
- 0.35b11: Paul Leaman and Scott Kelley added Ataxx (Testdriver).