A colourful platform game in which the player controls a long-tongued chameleon that must make around a series of single-screen, platform-strewn levels; stealing chicken eggs from their nests and being careful to avoid contact with angry chickens.
As well as walking along the platforms and poles, the chameleon can use its tongue to pull itself up to higher platforms; and to escape from any nearby chickens. Each level also has a number of bombs placed at various points; the chameleon can hit these with its tongue to send them crashing towards nearby chickens. The player must keep an eye out for projectiles thrown by the chickens, such as flashing eggs.
If the nesting eggs are left for too long, they will hatch into a baby chick. The player can eat the chick for bonus points, but if the chick is left alone for too long, it will grow into an adult chicken and start attacking the player.
A level is over once all of the eggs have been collected and all of the chickens killed.
- 0.147: Replaced SN76489 sound with SN76489_NEW.
- 0.122u6: Lowerd FPS in Lasso driver to avoid corrupting Chameleon's high score table [Zsolt Vasvari].
- 0.122u5: Changed M6502 CPU1 clock speed to 705562 Hz.
- 0.116u2: Justin Kerk and Lord Nightmare updated Chameleon to correctly use the SN76489 instead of the SN76496, which was a later design.
- 0.61: Changed visible area to 256x224. Replaced 'Unknown 1-7' dipswitch with 4x 'Unknown'.
- 0.56: Luca Elia added Chameleon (Jaleco 1983).
- 8th October 2001: Luca Elia added Chameleon to the Lasso driver.
- 30th April 1999: Darren Olafson sent in a very preliminary driver for Chameleon, but neither controls or sound are working.